Can Canadians who received the AstraZeneca vaccine travel to the U.S.?


My wife and I both received the AstraZeneca vaccine and have heard that we won't be allowed to travel to the U.S. because they haven't approved this vaccine. Is this true?


Currently (as of July 7, 2021) there are no requirements to show proof of vaccination for COVID-19 to enter the U.S.

In order to board a flight to the U.S., you are required to show a negative COVID test administered within the previous 72 hours – or proof that you have recovered from COVID within 90 days of travel.

Much of the confusion about whether those who have been vaccinated with the AstraZeneca vaccine are eligible to travel to the U.S. stems from the fact that some Broadway shows and TV shows with live audiences in the U.S. have been requiring proof of vaccination for individuals to attend and were not accepting AstraZeneca recipients because the vaccine has not yet been approved in the U.S.   

For example, the Bruce Springsteen Broadway show took that position last month but later changed their policy and said they would allow individuals who had received AstraZeneca to attend. 

According to CBC and other news outlets, Prime Minister Trudeau (who received AstraZeneca himself) said in June that the government “is working with the U.S. and other international partners to ensure that AstraZeneca vaccine recipients face few barriers when they travel abroad.”

Trudeau also said that “discussions with other countries on how they will treat those who've had a dose of that product are still ongoing. We will definitely make sure that people who got one or two AstraZeneca doses will not be disadvantaged when they want to travel.”

The bottom line is, at this time individuals who have received the AstraZeneca vaccine are able to travel to the U.S., but they may not be eligible to attend some private events in the U.S.

Disclaimer: The material provided on the website is for informational purposes only and does NOT constitute legal, tax, accounting, financial, real estate, medical or other advice, and should not be relied on as such. If you require such advice, you should retain a qualified professional to advise you.