Snowbird FAQs

Snowbird FAQs is a forum where we provide answers to some of the most common and interesting questions we receive from Snowbird Advisor members that we feel will be of interest to other members.

Vehicle Transport

My husband and I have been driving our car down to Arizona for years. We don’t want to make the long drive anymore, but we still want our car with us in Arizona. What are the best options for having our vehicle transported to and from the U.S.?


Your situation is not an uncommon one. Many snowbirds who drive their car south for the winter eventually decide they don’t want to deal with the long drive there and back. If you find yourself in this situation, you basically have three choices to get your car to and from your winter destination:

  1. Get a friend or relative to drive your car for you
  2. Hire a driveaway service to drive your car for you
  3. Hire a vehicle transport company to transport your car on a truck

Each option has its own pros and cons, so you’ll need to consider things like price, convenience, delivery options, safety and wear and tear on your car to determine which option is best for you.

Regardless of which method you use, the company or individual transporting your car will need to present certain documents when taking your car across the border to avoid customs and immigration issues. If you work with a reputable driveaway or vehicle transport company, they should be able to assist you with these documents.

You can learn more about transporting your vehicle between Canada and the U.S. here

Disclaimer: The material provided on the website is for informational purposes only and does NOT constitute legal, tax, accounting, financial, real estate, medical or other advice, and should not be relied on as such. If you require such advice, you should retain a qualified professional to advise you.